1. do it at bliss point
2. do it cyclically
3. do it in an Edgeworth Box
4. do it on demand
5. do it risk-free (in reference to the risk-free interest rate)
6. do it with a dual
7. do it with an atomistic competitor
8. do it with crystal balls
9. do it with interest
10. do it with models
11. do it with Slutsky matrices.
12. do it discretely AND continuously.
13. do it on Leontief’s table.
1. do it if they can identify it.
2. do it with dummies.
Top 10 Economist Valentines
10. You raise my interest rate 30 basis points without a corresponding dropoff in consumer enthusiasm
9. Despite a decade of inflation, I still dig your supply curve
8. What do you say we remeasure our cross-elasticity
7. You bring the butter,I’ll bring the gun
6. Let’s raise housing starts together
5. Further stimulus could result in uncoltrolled expansion
4. Tell me whether my expectations are rational
3. Let’s assume a ritzy hotel and a bottle of Dom
2. You stoke the animal spiritf of my market
1. A loaf of bread, a jug of wine, and thou beside me watching Rukeyser
1. Economists are armed and dangerous: “Watch out for our invisible hands.”
2. Economists can supply it on demand.
3. Can talk about money without every having to make any.
4. Get to say “trickle down” with a straight face.
5. Mick Jagger and Arnold Schwarzenegger both studied economics and look how they turned out.
6. When they are in the unemployment line, at least they will know why they are there.
7. If you rearrange the letters in “ECONOMICS”, you get “COMIC NOSE”.
8. Although ethics teaches that virtue is its own reward, in economics we get taught that reward is its own virtue.
9. When they get drunk, they can tell everyone that they are just researching the law of diminishing marginal utility.
10. When they call 1-900-LUV-ECON and get Kandi Keynes, they will have something to talk about.
When economists do it…
* they are definitely elastic
* they know how to maximize profit & minimize costs
* they can do it in lines or curves
* they monopolize the market and just forget about perfect competition